Three card poker is a casino card game based on poker. It is a relatively new game compared to other games having been developed in the 1990's. There are two bets you can make an in realty each bet is a different game. As the name indicates the game is played with three cards instead of the normal five.
Aim of the Game
- Ante / Raise Bet - to beat the dealers three card hand
- Pair Plus Bet - to get a pair or higher with your three cards
- One 52 card deck is used for all three card poker game
Three card poker uses slightly different hand rankings when compared to standard poker hands. You obviously cannot get a royal flush or four of a kind. The highest hand in three card poker is a straight flush followed by three of a kind. The straight then outranks the flush which is opposite to normal. This is because it is easier to make a straight with three cards then it is to make a flush.
You can make a bet on either the Ante / Raise or the Pair Plus or both. The bets are separate and do not effect each other. The game play for each of the bet types is as follows.
- Pair Plus
(See Pay Offs Below)
- Player makes a bet on Pair Plus
- Player is dealt three cards
- Hand wins or loses based on players cards
- Ante Raise
- Player makes a bet on Ante
- Player and dealer are dealt three cards
- Player may fold or raise
- Player and Dealer hands are compared
- Dealer must qualify with at least Queen high
- If Dealer does not qualify raise bet is paid 1 to 1
- If Dealer qualifies and players wins both bets pay 1 to 1
Pair Plus Pay Offs
The pay offs for the Pair Plus bet vary from casino to casino but in general they are 40 to 1 (Straight Flush), 30 to 1 (Three of a Kind), 6 to 1 (Straight), 4 to 1 (Flush) and 1 to 1 for any pair.
Some casinos offer an extra bonus for the Ante Raise bet if you get a straight or higher. The pay offs for the bonus are typically 5 to 1 for a straight flush, 4 to 1 for a three or a kind and 1 to 1 for a straight.
There is no strategy for the Pair Plus bet as you cannot control the cards you get. The Ante Raise bet however has a choice of whether to raise or fold. You should always raise with Queen, Six, Four or higher and fold with anything less.