The basic principals of how to play blackjack are easy to learn. It is worth noting however that learning to play correct strategy on each hand is the only way to keep the house edge low. This article covers only the mechanics of each blackjack game if you are looking for strategy see our Basic Strategy article.
Game Objective & Card Values
- To get a hand with a value higher than the dealers without going over 21
- Aces are worth 1 or 11, Face cards or worth 10, other cards are face value
- Players place bets on the table
- Players are dealt two cards each face up
- Dealer is dealt two cards one face up and one face down
- Players may hit, stand, double or split
- Once players hands are complete the dealer hand is completed
Blackjack Pay Offs
- Blackjack pays 3 to 2 (An Ace and and any card with a value of 10)
- Win pays 1 to 1
- Push is a tie and bets are returned
How To Play
You begin a blackjack game by placing chips on the betting area in from of you. You are then dealt two cards and have the following options.
- Hit - Take another card. You can hit until you stand, bust or reach 21
- Stand - Take no more cards
- Double - Make a bet double your initial bet and get one more card
- Split - If you are dealt a pair you can split the one hand into two hands
- Insurance - If the dealer shows an ace you can bet that they have BJ
Once all players at the table the dealer reveals the face down card. The dealer then stands or draws depending on the Blackjack Rules used. At this point the dealers hand is compared to other hands. If the dealers hand is higher than yours you lose. If the dealer hand is lower you win. if the dealer busts all players who did not bust win. if you bust and the dealer busts you still lose.