While there are several variations of baccarat found in both online and offline casinos the rules are all very similar. In this section we outline the most commonly used rules for baccarat. It is worth noting that while one of the hands is known and the player hand this is not your hand. It is simply one of the two hands dealt in every baccarat game.
Baccarat is usually played with either 6 and 8 decks of cards.
Card and Hand Values
- Aces are worth 1
- Face card (Jacks, Queens & Kings) and Tens are worth zero
- 2 though 9 are worth their standard value
- A baccarat hand can only ever be one digit so for example if you have 9 and 7 your hand total is 16 which in baccarat is 6.
Betting Options & Pay Offs
- Banker : Pays 1 to 1 less 5% commission*
- Player : Pays 1 to 1
- Tie : Pays 8 to 1
* The 5% commission on the banker bet is paid due to the fact that the bet has a lower house edge than the player bet. In fact without the commission being taken it is likely casinos would have to change the rules. If playing at a land based casino you pay the commission when you leave the table so be sure to make sure you have the chips to cover it. Online commission is taken out of each win.
Order of Play
- Players make bets
- Cards are dealt and hands are compared
- If the third card rule (See Below) comes into play extra cards are dealt
- Wins are paid
The Third Card Rule
hand starts with two cards being dealt to both the player and banker hands. If either hand is a natural no more cards are dealt. If however neither hand is an 8 or 9 additional cards can be dealt according to the rules below. The player hand is always completed first.
A card is dealt to the player,
- If the Player hand equals 0 to 5 player gets a card
A card is dealt to the banker,
- If the player does not get a third card banker stands on 6 or higher and draws on 5 or less. If the player hand draws a third card the following rules apply to the bankers third card.
- If Banker Hand is 0 : Banker gets a card
- If Banker Hand is 1 : Banker gets a card
- If Banker Hand is 2 : Banker gets a card
- If Banker Hand is 3 : Banker gets a card if players hand is anything but 8
- If Banker Hand is 4 : Banker gets a card if player has 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7
- If Banker Hand is 5 : Banker gets a card if player has 4, 5, 6 or 7
- If Banker Hand is 6 : Banker gets a card if player has 6 or 7
- If Banker Hand is 7 : Banker stands